Square’s Pricey Bet Pays Off as Merchants Pick Readers that Combine NFC + EMV
- The tough move from free to fee for its readers has Square adjusting its strategy to lure merchants, but it also opens the door wider to new markets, according to CEO Jack Dorsey.
- Dorsey did not provide investors with specifics on sales of its new mobile card reader, but did report anecdotal examples of growth, such as the Coachella music festival, where contactless "tap" payments increased to 11% from 1% the year before. In other reports, Square this spring claimed hundreds of thousands of sales of its NFC/EMV reader since last fall.
Creditcall and Elavon Add Unattended Certification to Suite of EMV Solutions for U.S. Merchants
- Building upon the two companies’ European strategic partnership, the U.S. expansion will deliver the latest EMV technology to the self-service sector in addition to already deployed retail and restaurant point of sale (POS) and mobile POS (mPOS) EMV solutions
Visa Reports EMV Surge in the U.S.
- Visa has reported statistics that indicate the amount of EMV-enabled cards has risen higher in the US than the country’s population. According to the firm, 326.8 million chip cards were used in June 2016. The uptick in usage is put down to the US adding more than 100,000 chip-enabled merchants during the month and also the increased amount of small and medium-sized businesses coming on board.
- Around 28% of the merchant population in the country is now EMV chip-enabled. In June 2016 one in four dollars spent on Visa cards was spent using a chip card in a compatible terminal. Visa reports that the total number of payments topped out at 483 million last month.
EMV Quick Chip Gets a Chance to Sway Merchants
- Visa announced Quick Chip four months ago, but until today the card brand has not had a place to showcase its faster EMV technology to merchants who feel burdened by the EMV payment process.
- With the New Leaf grocery store chain in the San Francisco area becoming the first retailer in the U.S. to use Quick Chip, as well as Mastercard's version called M/Chip Fast, Visa says it now has the perfect example for acquirers and processors to follow.
Fill out the form below and we will get in touch with you shortly
The Generational Shift in Consumer Shopping Behaviors
With every generation, consumer behaviors change. Gen Z (ages 18-24) and Zillennial (25-26) shoppers grew up online. Many don’t remember a tim...Learn More
An Introduction to Payment Terms and Concepts
The payments space has a language all of its own. Who are acquirers? What’s a payment terminal? What about a PayFac? Whether you’re a new busi...Learn More
How NMI is Making 2023 the Best Year Yet for Our Partners
The payments industry has changed dramatically over the past several years. In 2020, consumer expectations shifted, and we saw a sudden rise i...Learn More
What You Need to Know About Buy Now, Pay Later Legislation
What if you could finance and pay for a purchase over time without a credit check or signing up for a personal loan? Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL)...Learn More
4 Steps to Make Your ISO Business More Profitable in 2023
As headlines warn of a potential recession, consumers are tightening their belts in preparation for a challenging year. While so much negative...Learn More
NMI Achieves Milestone Year in 2022 With Industry Recognition, Acquisitions and New Partnerships
Through acquisitions and continued platform investments, the company will continue to support partners from sign-up to pay-out across the comm...Learn More
The Evolution of Public Parking Payments
Parking payment solutions have evolved significantly since their inception. The first parking meters were installed in Oklahoma City in 1935 (...Learn More
The State of Public Transportation in the United States, the United Kingdom and Europe
'A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.' - Gustavo Petro Public transpor...Learn More
Adding Value to Payment Solutions: 3 Ways to Generate More Revenue
Generating more revenue can be tricky - especially as consumers and businesses tighten their belts and cut back on spending. Should you add mo...Learn More
New NMI Report Finds Convenience and Speed Drive Consumers’ Eagerness to Try New Payments Innovations
SCHAUMBURG, IL – JANUARY 17, 2023 – NMI, a leading full commerce enablement technology company, today released its inaugural Payments Innovati...Learn More